Google Wave – The New Face of BI
We’ve been waiting for it. Google Wave is here! As avid fans of in context communication, collaboration and business intelligence we welcome Google Wave. If you haven’t yet seen the video – spend your next 80 minutes doing so and you won’t regret it.
Why is Google Wave important to Business Intelligence?
Business Intelligence, Planning, Analytics and Reporting have all been sold as standalone applications only loosely integrated with the context of Business where the should be put to use. Defining and setting up the BI environment used to be the property of technically skilled BI professionals working off-line from the Business. The Canvas changed this, putting Business People in charge but still we’ve desperately missed the context of collaboration that would integrate BI to the rest of the world seamlessly.
Google Wave changes this. Just imagine…
- Creating your business gems and mashboards in a Wave working with your colleagues. The old static BI will be forever gone and replaced with the dynamics of online collaboration.
- Typing in a one-to-one or group conversation and while a robot constantly analyzes your discussion and searches the Business Intelligence both inside and outside the organization for relevant information annotating your discussion with gems of information, graphs and table easily available in the collaboration context.
- Working with a planning assignment integrated in its business document. The numerical part of the planning automatically synchronized with the financial planning system, the associated report collaboratively authored and comments written and answered – all in the same context.
- Collaboration and comments seamless between the published mashboard and the collaboration/ communication context editing of the Wave. BI publishing will no longer be a waterfall process but change to the agile round-trip authoring where we all want it to be. The death of Business Intelligence is here and will free us from the burdens of the old data-warehousing publishing methodologies.
Mashboards, Mashups and Waves
Products like Performance Canvas today deliver Mashboard functionality to be able to embed all kinds of content into what used to be a simple BI dashboard or scorecard. The reverse is true as well – by using BI Wiki technology non-programmers can create mashed applications in different contexts. Waves will be canvases for mashboards, dashboards and scorecards with unprecedented collboration and integrated mashup cababilities. Published Mashboards, Dashboards and Scorecards will be Wave-driven to unleash the energy, creativity and power all to often buried in organizations.
Business Intelligence will be faster and more fun – Stay with us to experience it!
Some more reading:
- Michael Dortch - Google Wave: The Future of Online Collaboration and Business Intelligence
- DBMS2 - Reinventing business intelligence
- Richi Jennings – Google Wave: who, what, where, why, when?
- Press Release – Performance Canvas adds Business Intelligence to Google Wave
- Desh – “…maybe this could serve as the centerpiece of a collaborative and real time Business Intelligence system of the future…”
- Chris Webb – Google Wave, Google Squared and Thinking Outside the Cube